Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: YCSP Research Coordinator
Vacancy No.: 1
Note: Applicants must be nationals of Yemen.
- Based in Aden - Yemen, the Research Assistant will report to the Knowledge Management Coordinator in Sanaa, Yemen and will provide research support for the “The Yemen Conflict Sensitivity Platform” project under the research team.
- The Research Assistant will report to the Research Coordinator and will work closely with other team members, and is responsible for performing the following:
- Conduct desk reviews to inform commencement of and ongoing field data collection.
- Compile an initial literature review, guided by the research coordinator, and conduct updates at key intervals during the project’s lifetime.
- Lead research/publication task with the support of the senior research team and in comply with YCSP internal publications process SOP.
- Identify and contact key stakeholders required for field interviews.
- Support the development of necessary field data collection tools alongside M&E staff.
- Develop an interview and data collection schedule and data analysis matrix alongside M&E staff.
- Maintain a database of key stakeholders and work-related partners.
- Reviewing publications and studies related to YCSP strategic objective work and share summary to related unit when requested
Data collection and analysis
- Conduct the research as planned, taking and consolidating notes on an ongoing basis.
- Enter data collected into data analysis matrix, with supervision from M&E staff.
- With oversight by the supervisor, write technical sections for team documents, briefing materials, and presentations.
- Conduct data cleaning, coding, tabulation, interpretation and visualizing.
- Summarize and analyze the key findings and learnings in regular reports.
- Assist/ contribute in the preparation of written reports for monthly and quarterly internal reporting.
- Participate in external meetings
- Build relationships and engages effectively with collaborators.
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Working with People: respect the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy, listens, supports; consults others and shares information and expertise, builds team spirit and adapts to the team. Work across functions from a multicultural perspective that reflects consideration of other cultures, other viewpoints, and other ways of doing things.
- Flexibility: adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, tolerate ambiguity, adapt personal style to different people and situations.
- Drive for Results and Efficiency: set quality standards, monitor and maintain quality of work, and set goals to achieve continuous improvement. Focuses on the key objectives of a task or project.
- Relationship Management: manage interactions, to provide service and to support the organization while building an effective internal and external network. Interact with others and handle problems/situations with tact. Periodic external engagement as requested.
- Leadership and Navigation: manage and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization while making progress toward change and continuous improvement.
- Communication: effectively exchange information with others, effectively deliver critical information, to gather information and communicate with others.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness: value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties and be able to work cross-culturally. Sensitively recognizes moral situations.
- Ethical Practice: integrate Search vision, mission and core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Business Acumen: understand and apply information to contribute to the organization's strategic plan.
- Commitment to Search Values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity
Qualifications & Experience
Education and Experience
- Minimum qualifications: Bachelor of science/Bachelor of arts in peacebuilding/ social studies/ politics/ anthropology/ English language/ Translation or any other related field, with minimum 2 years’ experience in NGOs/INGOs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Language skills: Native speaker of Arabic, fluent command on English
- Presentation skills: Strong writing and summarizing skills
- Computer skills: Familiar with Microsoft Office Applications, esp. Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Others: Familiarity with Yemeni context is a must. Familiarity with SPSS, R or Stata is a plus. Evidence of research writing is highly preferable.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Usual office environment conditions; ability to travel within governorates of Yemen.
Supervisory and Budget Responsibility
How To Applyكيفية التقديم
December 5th, 2020: Due to the urgent need for filling this position, applicants are advised to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications will not be considered once the position for this vacancy is filled.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
رابط التقديم للوظيفة:
Search For Common Ground
For over three years, violent conflict has devastated Yemen, leading to many lives being lost and causing massive amounts of destruction. But through all of this, there are still sparks of hope.
In November 2017, we launched Peace Education in Yemeni High Schools. Partnering with the Ministry of Education in Aden and Lahj governorates, we began working with teachers and students in eight high schools toaddress violence among youth and provide alternative paths to self-determination and expression.
Share This Job