Education Specialist (Yemen)
The Specialist has overall responsibility for technical soundness of NRC’s education core competency strategy, fundraising plan for the strategy, proposal development, and programme quality, equity and inclusiveness.
The Specialist is also responsible for staff capacity development and ensuring proactive steps are taken to maximise synergies and integration with other NRC core competencies as well as other agencies.
The Specialist’s success depends on a sound understanding of the context, adaptability, and developing technically sound project interventions that based accurate analysis of needs and context; quality benchmarking; writing winning proposals to ensure funds are in place to allow for education activities; and building staff technical knowledge.
- Provide specific contextual analysis as input to the Country Strategy, including providing a contingency plan.
- Contextualise to Yemen all relevant technical standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Design comprehensive education needs assessments, including developing appropriate tools as needed.
- Participate in Education Cluster Joint Education Needs Assessments, and take an active lead in Education Cluster Assessment Working Groups.
- Lead the development of education expertise within the NRC Yemen team; provide Education in Emergencies training to all new staff and support staff to pursue other training opportunities, both internally and externally.
- Lead development of needs-based and technically innovative proposals to secure donor funding for stand-alone as well as integrated projects that address the priority needs of target populations.
Coordinate preparation of high-quality technical reports and collaborate with grants and finance staff to ensure timely submission of donor reports.
- Focal point for Education consortia projects; responsible for internal coordination, ensuring timely response to consortium requirements, external coordination, communications and attending coordination meetings.
- With a view to strengthening programme quality, effectiveness and accountability, support area managers in determining staffing needs, and collaborate with them in recruitment and performance management.
- Proactively engage with education stakeholders including the Ministry of Education, UN agencies, and international and national NGOs.
- Contribute to improved attainment of country office objectives and implementation of decisions of the country management teams.
- Contribute to Education in Emergencies policy and practice at regional/global level, sharing lessons learnt from the Yemen context and participating in relevant EiE fora.
- Lead two sub-national Education Clusters: Sana’a and Hodeida hubs. Provide regular technical guidance to the NRC Cluster Coordinators; ensure secondary data review and ‘4W’ reports are regularly updated; collaborate with education stakeholders from each of the two areas; proactively lead the Assessment Working Groups at sub-national level and support the national-level Working Groups (WASH in Schools; Gender in Education).
- Raise the profile of Education in Emergencies generally and in Yemen specifically, in collaboration with NRC’s Advocacy Advisor.
- Represent NRC at national, regional or global meetings, as required.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Head of Programme.
Qualifications & Experience
- Advanced University Degree / Master’s Degree in Education or other relevant humanitarian or social science degree if couple with relevant experience.
- Strong preference for a qualified teacher with a minimum of a Certificate in Education from a recognised institution, with a minimum of two years’ teaching experience, including in minimally resourced education systems
- At least six years’ relevant field experience providing technical support for education in a humanitarian context, in conflict-affected, volatile or protracted/complex environments, and preferably with at least 2 years experience at a national/country office level.
- Good knowledge on Education donors and developments/debates in the Education sector.
- Knowledge/awareness of own leadership skills/profile, a high degree of self-awareness and self-mastery; with a high level of emotional intelligence
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Competencies in Arabic language is preferred
- Strategic thinking and analytic skills
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action, create value and deliver change
- Managing performance and development
- Working and adapting to working in insecure environments.
How To Applyكيفية التقديم
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.
قبل التقديم يرجى التأكد من قراءة متطلبات الوظيفة جيدا في حال كنت مؤهل
سيتم استبعاد المتقدمين غير المؤهلين
Yemen now represents the world’s largest humanitarian crisis. Ongoing conflict, economic deterioration and the collapse of public services have left 20 million Yemenis in need of aid and protection. NRC responds to emergency needs in Yemen by providing communities with resources, services and information that enable self-reliance and preserve dignity.
Share This Job